logo

Hip-Hop Lives Here

  • Home
  • Music
  • Rapper Kay Flock Receives 30 Year Prison Sentence in Federal Case

Rapper Kay Flock Receives 30 Year Prison Sentence in Federal Case

image

Bronx rapper Kay Flock, whose real name is Kevin Perez, was sentenced to 30 years in prison on Tuesday following his federal case.

Perez was charged in February 2023 in connection with the killing of Hwascar Hernandez, who was shot and killed on December 16, 2021, in Upper Manhattan. Although Perez was cleared of a first degree murder charge earlier this year, a jury ultimately convicted him of racketeering conspiracy, attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon in aid of racketeering, along with a firearm discharge charge tied to his federal indictment.

Before his legal troubles halted his rise, Kay Flock had been gaining traction as a drill rapper. His breakout single “Shake It,” featuring Cardi B, arrived in April 2022, roughly four months after Perez was charged in Hernandez’s death.

“Kevin Perez used violence and fame to fuel fear and intimidation across the Bronx,” said Jay Clayton, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, in a statement. “Perez and his gang members carried out a string of shootings that struck both rival gang members and innocent bystanders. Perez also used his platform as a prominent rapper to celebrate his violence: threatening his rivals, bragging about his shootings, and taunting his victims. His brazen actions unleashed a series of back and forth retaliatory shootings that killed and injured far too many people in the Bronx.”

According to prosecutors, Perez was identified as a leader of a Bronx based gang known as “Sev Side,” also referred to as “DOA.” Authorities alleged the group engaged in violent acts against rival crews to maintain control of its territory, while also carrying out bank and wire fraud schemes that prosecutors say helped bankroll Perez’s music career.

Perez’s lawyer, Michael T. Ashley, did not immediately respond to Rolling Stone‘s request for comment.

Prosecutors also linked Perez to attempted killings that took place on June 26, 2020, August 10, 2020, and November 10, 2021. In a statement from the U.S. Attorney’s office, officials said Perez released music that “glorified his violence, threatened more of it, and taunted rival gang members who had been murdered.”

While handing down the sentence, U.S. District Judge Lewis J. Liman said Perez had “taunted, celebrated, and created a culture of violence,” adding that the damage caused by his actions “was immense.”

Leave a Reply

Advertisement

image
MOST POPULAR
  • Home
  • Music
  • Charli xcx says ‘Brat’ helped her reach fans who didn’t get her before

Charli xcx says ‘Brat’ helped her reach fans who didn’t get her before

image

Charli xcx’s 2024 album Brat marked a turning point in her career, but it also brought an intense level of attention that followed her everywhere.

That shift became a key source of inspiration for The Moment, the British dance pop artist’s mockumentary which premiered on Jan. 30. Directed by Aidan Zamiri, the high energy film offers an exaggerated reflection of Charli’s Brat era rise. Speaking to Billboard in a video interview shared on Monday Feb. 2, the singer and songwriter said the project was shaped by the real life “transition” she experienced during that period.

“I’d been this relatively niche artist, and then had suddenly been opened up to this huge new audience, some of whom really connected with me, some of whom only connected with aspects of me, some of whom liked me, but didn’t really get me,” Charli said during a Zoom conversation with Zamiri. “How much you’re under scrutiny, in the spotlight, being listened to, watched, is a really interesting thing. It made me so acutely aware of how hard that transition can be.”

Brat was released in June 2024 and climbed to No. 3 on the Billboard 200, marking the highest chart position of Charli’s career so far. The album also earned her three Grammy Awards. She sustained that momentum later in the year with a Brat remix project featuring a roster of well known collaborators, followed by the Brat Tour which wrapped up in August 2025.

In the time since, Charli has made it clear that the Brat chapter is behind her, noting that her attention has shifted toward acting roles and soundtrack work. In the coming weeks, she is set to release her Wuthering Heights companion album tied to Emerald Fennell’s upcoming film adaptation of the classic Charlotte Bronte novel.

“Nothing lasts forever — and no one lasts forever,” Charli told Billboard when explaining why she chose to close out the Brat era on her own terms. “I think I’ve alway’s known that. It’s cooler to just leave it all behind.”

That said, she still found joy in recreating the relentless club energy that defines The Moment, which she and Zamiri shot across 29 days. “Every single weekend, we would just go out and party,” Charli said of keeping the atmosphere alive on set. “Sometimes Aidan would just blast The Prodigy whilst they were setting up a shot.”

Watch Charli and Zamiri’s full interview with Billboard above.

Leave a Reply

Advertisement

image
MOST POPULAR